Title: (Senior)Fellow for Defense and Security Policy
Location: Berlin, Germany
Reports to: Director, Berlin Office
The German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) seeks to hire a (Senior) Fellow for Defense and Security Policy in its Berlin Office. The successful candidate will report to the Director of GMF’s Berlin office and will be a part of GMF’s Security and Defense Cluster with experts in Washington, Paris, Warsaw, Brussels and Berlin.
Based in GMF’s Berlin Office, the (Senior) Fellow will build a new project on transatlantic security and defense policy with a special focus on Germany’s role as a major actor within NATO. Given increasing security threats in an environment that includes a fraying liberal international order and weakening transatlantic ties, GMF wants to increase its contribution to an international debate that sees NATO evolve into a US-supported organization with a strong European element.
GMF is looking for a security policy expert and policy entrepreneur who is interested in investing time, energy and expertise into the idea of re-vitalizing the transatlantic strategic partnership. The role involves writing and analysis, public speaking and convening, resource development and project building.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Build a Transatlantic Security and Defense Policy project at GMF Berlin
- Design, develop and implement a project strategy, including the generation of project partners, topics and formats
- Actively contribute to the research, the publications and the convenings of the Security and Defense as well as the Europe cluster at GMF
- Participate in Defense and Security Policy debates in Berlin, Brussels, Warsaw, Paris and Washington. Speak in public, write in newspapers and magazines on both sides of the Atlantic
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities to build the new initiative. This will include drafting concept notes and proposals.
- Actively build a Security and Defense Policy network in Germany and beyond
- Actively integrate with and support the Berlin office team
- Oversee the budget management of the initiative
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in Security and Defense Policy (as a Fellow), or 8 years (to be conserved as a Senior Fellow), preferably in an international setting
- M.A. or PhD degree
- Previous analytical and research work on Transatlantic Security and Defense Policy, especially German Security and Defense Policy
- Proven ability to publish in relevant journals/newspapers etc.
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Ability to detect and support opportunities to create networks among project participants
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Strategic thinking and versatility
- Proven ability to work well with people in a fast-paced environment including with stakeholders, partners, and ad-hoc teams
- Excellent and proven skills in project, time and people management
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English required, proficiency in at least one other European language
September 1, 2020
Please note that Non-EU-citizens need to be in possession of an unrestricted German work permit.
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter including your salary expectations and current resume (as one document) via our website www.gmfus.org/careers.
Due to the high volume of responses, we will only contact candidates of interest.
GMF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.