As a (Junior) Legal Counsel (m/f/d), you will be part of the IOTA Foundation’s Legal & Regulatory Affairs team. You will support our day-to-day business and develop innovative solutions to novel legal questions. You will help to ensure the IOTA Foundation’s overall compliance with new and existing regulations and engage with regulators and policy-makers to provide legal certainty to those who want to use the IOTA technology.
- Research and analyze national and international laws and regulations in all areas affecting the blockchain/DLT space, including but not limited to: financial regulation, monetary law , crowdfunding, securities & commodities regulation, consumer protection competition law, data # protection, privacy, etc;
- Write legal memorandum and policy briefs;
- Draft feedback for public regulatory consultations;
- Build up the IOTA Foundation's network of collaborators and partner organizations on legal and regulatory topics; and
- Assist with presentations and inputs to government and intergovernmental regulatory task forces and working groups.
- Negotiating, writing and executing agreements and contracts on behalf of the IOTA Foundation and its subsidiaries;
- Offering counsel on a wide variety of legal issues including, but not limited to, employment, corporate , intellectual property, and data protection law;
- Advising executives within the IOTA Foundation;
- Working alongside other departments within the IOTA Foundation;
- Advising on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different partnerships and commercial arrangements;
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues within the cryptocurrency, blockchain, and internet-of-things space that could impact the IOTA Foundation and its subsidiaries and partners;
- Establishing and overseeing legally compliant employment practices and freelancer arrangements;
- Managing relationships with the IOTA Foundation's outside legal counsel, accountants, and other services providers;
- Ensuring the IOTA Foundation meets all reporting requirements for annual reports, financial reports, etc and fulfills its obligations with all relevant regulatory bodies (Stiftungsaufsichtsbehörde, Finanzamt, etc.); and
- Providing training to the IOTA Foundation's directors, officers, and employees on legal and compliance topics.
- You are passionate about technology, with a particular interest in the DLT Sector.
- You are proactive and you feel comfortable working in a remote setup.
- You are a great communicator and a team player.
- You enjoy working on both Legal and Regulatory affairs topics.
- Masters Degree in Law.
- At least 2 years of working experience.
- High level of fluency in spoken and written English.
- High level of fluency in spoken and written German.
- Working experience in a law firm.
- Bar admission (Zweites Staatsexamen).
The IOTA Foundation is a not-for-profit organization established in 2017 and headquartered in Berlin, Germany. The Foundation’s mission is to drive the development and standardization of new distributed ledger technologies (DLTs) that enable permissionless innovation ecosystems. To realize this potential the IOTA Foundation is actively building a collaborative of developers, start-ups, private enterprises and government, civil society and academic institutions.
Concretely, we engage in engineering, research and community organizing efforts around the IOTA Tangle – a new generation of DLT specifically designed to be the open and free trust layer for the Internet-of-Things (IoT).
What we offer
- Opportunity to be a high-impact contributor in one of the most progressive legal fields.
- A wide area of exciting legal questions.
- Independence and responsibility from day one.
- Constant technology challenges.
- Work with the brightest minds in the industry.
The IOTA Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.