In this position, you will work with the Foundation's board of directors, supervisory board, and heads of department to oversee all of the Foundation's internal and external legal affairs. Working efficiently in a fast-paced start-up environment, you will take charge of creating and maintaining effective compliance systems, legal reviews, regulatory reporting structures, and in-house legal advisory services. You think of yourself not as a lawyer but as a problem solver. You share the IOTA Foundation's mission to promote permissionless peer-to-peer digital innovation, and you see it as your job to fashion sound legal frameworks to support that mission both in Germany and around the world.
You are highly organized and able to deal with sensitive matters in a professional manner. Always eager for a challenge, you find it exciting to move deftly between legal issues as diverse as tax, employment, contract, M&A, corporate governance, data protection, financial regulation, and more. Tackling these issues in multiple jurisdictions thrills rather than scares you. You enjoy and excel at managing relationships with outside legal counsel and other external advisors across multiple time zones, and you know how to ensure that they deliver top-quality work for the Foundation. You know how to be conciliatory when circumstances require, but also how to stand your ground and negotiate hard when necessary. You exude professionalism, integrity, and discretion in all that you do. People trust you and rely on your judgment because you have a reputation for giving honest and objective advice and for always treating everyone fairly. Above all, you have a deep respect for the law and the constructive role it plays in fostering a healthy environment within which cutting-edge innovation can flourish.
This role will be based in Berlin, Germany. Candidate must live in Berlin or be willing to travel to Berlin regularly as needed.
- Negotiating, writing and executing agreements and contracts on behalf of the Foundation and its subsidiaries
- Offering counsel on a wide variety of legal issues
- Advising executives within the Foundation
- Working alongside other departments within the Foundation
- Advising on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different partnerships and commercial arrangements
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues within the DLT, cryptocurrency, blockchain, internet-of-things, and artificial intelligence space that could impact the Foundation and its subsidiaries and partners
- Reviewing marketing and web materials to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements
- Establishing and overseeing legally compliant employment practices and freelancer arrangements
- Managing relationships with the Foundation's outside legal counsel, accountants, and other services providers
- Ensuring, together with the Director of Finance, that the Foundation meets all reporting requirements for annual reports, financial reports, etc and fulfills its obligations with all relevant regulatory bodies (Stiftungsaufsichtsbehörde, Finanzamt, etc.)
- Providing training to the Foundation's directors, officers, and employees on legal & compliance topics
- Overseeing the Foundation's GDPR compliance
- Instructing, mentoring, and supervising the work of one junior legal counsel colleague
Minimum Job Qualifications
- German law degree and bar admission (first and second Staatsexamen)
- 5+ years relevant work experience in corporate law and/or non-profit foundation law obtained in a law firm or as in-house counsel in public or private sector
- Familiarity with German, EU, and international regulatory requirements for cryptocurrencies, DLTs, and associated technologies, including data privacy laws
- High level of fluency in spoken and written English
- Ability to draft legal documents in both German and English
- Ability to explain the basics of cryptocurrencies and DLTs in non-technical terms to regulators
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Expertise in non-profit foundation law
- Expertise in diverse areas of corporate law
- Expertise in intellectual property and IT law
- Familiarity with GDPR and German data protection law
- Experience managing legal work spanning multiple jurisdictions
- Experience in liaising and interacting with public authorities
- History of progressive responsibility and team leadership
- LLM or other international legal experience a plus
We offer our employees...
- A wide area of exciting legal questions
- Independence and responsibility from day one
- Constant technology challenges
- Opportunity to be a high-impact contributor in one of the most progressive legal fields
- Work with the brightest minds in the industry
- A modern, digital workplace in the heart of Berlin
The IOTA Foundation is a non-profit organization established in 2017 and headquartered in Berlin, Germany. The Foundation’s mission is to drive the development and standardization of new distributed ledger technologies (DLTs) that enable permissionless innovation ecosystems. To realize this potential the IOTA Foundation is actively building a collaborative of developers, start-ups, private enterprises, and government, civil society and academic institutions. Concretely, we engage in engineering, research and community organizing efforts around the IOTA Tangle – a new generation of DLT specifically designed to be the open and free trust layer for the Internet-of-Things (IoT).
The IOTA Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.